It’s estimated that more than 85% of people in the United States will experience acne at some point in their lives. While there are many products on the market to help with this skin condition, There are also many treatments that can be dangerous and even cause permanent damage to your skin.
Fortunately, CBD has been shown to be a potential treatment for acne. CBD is a natural compound found in hemp plants that has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties that can be used to treat acne symptoms and prevent future breakouts. It is a non-psychotropic compound, meaning it doesn't have any psychoactive effects or make you feel high.
CBD can be used as an effective treatment for many different types of skin conditions including eczema, psoriasis, and even rosacea.
Let’s take a look at how CBD oil can help with acne and what you should know before trying it out.
What Is Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that affects most people at some point in their lives. It occurs when hair follicles get clogged with excess sebum (oil) and dead skin cells, causing pimples or whiteheads. If the clogged pores become infected, they can become inflamed and infected pustules known as acne cysts form. While most cases of acne are minor and temporary, severe cases may result in permanent scarring if left untreated.
Acne can be found on the face, back, shoulders, chest, and even neck. Acne is caused by a combination of factors including genetics, hormones, bacteria, and sebum production.
Different types of acne:
Whiteheads: A whitehead is a closed comedo also known as a closed comedo that contains only dead skin cells and sebum.
- Blackheads: A blackhead is an open comedones that contains dead skin cells and sebum which turns it black when exposed to air. Blackheads are common around the T-zone area: forehead, nose, and chin.
- Papules: Small red bumps that can be tender, and raised from the surface of the skin without pustules or cysts present. Papules are often found in areas where there is more oil production such as the T-zone area or back.
- Pustules: Small pus filled bumps surrounded by inflamed tissue where bacteria has grown under the skin creating an infection in pores that cannot drain properly due to clogged hair follicles or excess.
How does CBD help with acne?
CBD is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that can help to combat acne. This is because CBD has been shown to have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties.
The main compound in CBD, called cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), has been found to reduce inflammation by inhibiting the action of COX-2 enzymes in the body. These enzymes are responsible for producing prostaglandins, which are inflammatory chemicals in the body that contribute to pain, swelling, redness, and itchiness.
By reducing this inflammation, CBD can help to treat acne symptoms such as redness and pimples without having to use harsh topical treatments like benzoyl peroxide or antibiotics.
CBD also helps kill Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) which is a common bacteria found in skin pores that cause acne vulgaris by producing substances that trigger cell changes in the lining of hair follicles resulting in blocked pores which leads to pimples forming on your skin surface.
CBD may help to regulate oil production
CBD oil works by calming down overactive sebaceous glands in the skin, which secrete more oil than they should cause clogged pores and blackheads. This excessive production of sebum blocks pores and causes them to become inflamed, leading to painful blemishes known as pimples or zits (pustules).
People who suffer from mild cases of acne may need only to use CBD oil once or twice a day for a couple of weeks before noticing results, but those with moderate or severe cases might require daily application
When applied topically, CBD may also help reduce oil production from sebaceous glands in the skin which leads to blocked pores that cause pimples and blackheads."
Here are some of the benefits of CBD for your skin:
- Natural Moisturizer: CBD is a natural moisturizer that can help hydrate dry skin, which is especially important for those who live in dry climates or during the winter months.
- Powerful Anit-oxidant: CBD prevents cell damage caused by free radicals that can damage cells, DNA, and tissues.
- Reduces inflammation: CBD reduces the amount of inflammation in your body while also reducing inflammation on your skin! This can help treat acne by reducing redness and swelling around breakouts which helps them clear more quickly.
- Reduces bacteria growth: The antibacterial properties present in CBD oil are able to fight acne-causing bacteria and reduce breakouts.
- Reduces scarring: CBD can help reduce the appearance of scars and blemishes by stimulating the production of collagen. This helps promote skin healing and regeneration while also protecting your skin from further damage.
- Help prevent future breakouts: Because of its anti-microbial properties, CBD can help prevent future breakouts by fighting acne-causing bacteria and reducing breakouts while improving your overall skin health.
CBD Oil for Acne Treatment: How to Use it
You can use CBD oil topically or orally depending on how severe your acne is. If you have mild acne, then topical application should suffice; but if you have moderate to severe acne symptoms, then oral consumption may be necessary as well. Here’s how you can use CBD oil for acne treatment:
- As a spot treatment: Apply a few drops of CBD oil directly onto your face after cleansing. Gently massage the product into your skin until it completely absorbs into your pores. You can repeat this process twice daily until your acne clears up.
- As Booster to your acne regimen: CBD oil can be applied directly to your skin using a dropper or added to your favorite moisturizer or serum. We recommend starting with a low dosage and gradually increasing it over time until you find an effective amount for your skin type.
- Oral Consumption: Take a dropperful of CBD oil in your mouth and swish it around for about 30 seconds. This will help to dissolve the product into your saliva and make swallowing easier. If you are using an edible form of CBD oil, then you can simply eat it like any other food or drink.
CBD Dosage Recommendations for Acne
The recommended dosage for CBD depends on the concentration of cannabinoids in the product itself. However, if you're just starting out with CBD oil for acne, we recommend starting with 1-2 milligrams per day.
When it comes to the management of acne, there are many medications that can be used. However, some of them have side effects and may not be suitable for everyone.
CBD is a great alternative treatment for acne because it typically does not cause significant side effects that many other medications may cause. Its skin-clarifying benefits are just as important as its pain-relieving properties. It also works well for people with different types of acne, including those who suffer from severe forms of acne such as cystic acne or nodular acne.
Moreover, CBD oil can help acne in a holistic manner, looking at all aspects of skin health and how best to fight acne from the outside in.
ReposeRx offers a holistic approach to treating acne and other skin problems. Our product line is safe for use on the face, neck, and body. It is 100% natural, non-GMO, and vegan that is formulated with high-quality ingredients. It provides a natural solution to help reduce inflammation and redness while providing long-term relief from acne flare-ups.